This is another delightful dessert that could easily be used for Mother’s Day. It’s moist sponge, layered with berries and whipped cream….no buttercream to fuss with and not too sweet…perfect, in my humble opinion! I used the Cake Boss’ recipe for the sponge cake and I was pleasantly surprised. You do have to spend some time beating until the desired volume is attained, but it’s well worth it. The cake was moist, flavourful and split easily into 3 layers. Here’s his recipe:
By popular demand, it’s the official CakeBoss Sponge Cake recipe! It is a scratch recipe, and the secret to its light and fluffy texture is the beating of the eggs! This recipe is best made in a stand mixer.
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1. Beat eggs in large mixing bowl with paddle attachment for 4 minutes. Do not skip this step!
2. Add sugar, and continue beating for another 4-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar on low speed until just combined.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk and butter on low heat just until butter is melted. Add to batter, beat just until combined.
5. Pour into two greased and floured 8″ round cake pans.
6. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.
Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them.
While the cake was cooling, I prepared the raspberries by mashing them gently with a fork. I then folded them into freshly whipped cream generously flavoured with Mexican vanilla and powdered sugar. I spread this mixture between the layers of sponge cake, wrapped the whole cake tightly in plastic wrap and placed it in the fridge overnight. This step is vital as the cake absorbs some of the cream’s moisture and it becomes all yummy! To serve, dust with powdered sugar and decorate with berries.
Happy Mother’s Day!
I love you, Mom! You too, Reina!